background

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Rust inchie for August, 2011

This was an interesting word to work with. I thought first about putting a syringe on a blank square with the words Rust...Tetanus. This came to mind because I have just had to have a tetanus shot after a tangle with a rusty nail in the yard. Dismissing that idea I wrapped some muslin in an old hammer head and dropped it into a tub with water and vinegar and left it in the sun for a week. It smelled really nasty and was hard to get off my hands. Oh! What one must do for their art! The tiny particles of rust were especially hard to get off the fabric and my hands. Next time I will use ink or dye for the fabric and skip the rusty tools.

3 comments:

  1. I love it! How you suffer for your art. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too used vinegar to rust but I used a small glass bowl. It did leave a rusty ring though but a bit of elbow grease helped with the cleaning.
    I like the little bits you used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your rusty bits! This is a great inchie. I'm sorry you had battle with a rusty nail, but glad you got the shot; it'll be good for future battles.

    ReplyDelete